A proxy server provides a gateway between users and the Internet. This is a server called an “intermediary” because it passes between end users and the web pages they visit on the Internet.
When a computer connects to the Internet, it uses an IP address. It’s like the street address of your house, telling incoming data where to go and marking outgoing data with a return address to authenticate other devices. A proxy server is essentially a computer on the Internet that has its own IP address. One such platform is The Pirate Bay.
Proxies and network security
Proxies provide a valuable layer of security for your computer. They can be configured as web filters or firewalls, protecting your computer from online threats like malware.
This added security is also appreciated when combined with a secure web gateway or other email security products. Thus, you can filter traffic according to its security level or the amount of traffic that your network or individual computers can handle.
Some people use proxies for personal purposes, such as hiding their location when watching movies on the Internet. However, for the company, they can be used to solve several key tasks. Such a proxy server can be bought, for example, at the Proxy-Seller company.
- Protect employees’ online activity from people trying to spy on them
- Balance internet traffic to prevent disruptions
- Control employee access to websites
- Save bandwidth by caching files or compressing incoming traffic
Since the proxy server has its own IP address, it acts as an intermediary between the computer and the Internet. Your computer knows this address, and when you submit a request on the Internet, it is redirected to a proxy server, which then receives a response from the web server and forwards the data from the page to your computer’s browser.
There are hardware and software versions. Hardware solutions sit between your network and the Internet, where they receive, send, and forward data from the Internet. Software proxies are usually hosted by a provider or in the cloud. You install an application on your computer that makes it easier to interact with the proxy.
Software proxies are often available for a monthly fee. Sometimes they are free. Free versions tend to offer users fewer addresses and can only cover a few devices, while paid proxies can meet the needs of businesses with more devices.
What are proxies for?
Proxies help to solve the following tasks:
- Anonymity. Of course, if you are doing certain work on the Internet, legal and legal, then you may also be concerned about issues of anonymity. Moreover, if you enter the network using a regular connection, then you can easily be identified. An excellent solution would be to buy a proxy. Having entered through a proxy, no one will be able to understand where you are coming from, since the IP of another country will be shown.
- Safety. The same applies to security issues, if you do not want someone to have even hypothetical opportunities to get to your computer and pick up important data, then it is better to enter the network through a proxy. A cheap service, but one that can save you a lot of money.
- The issue with the closure of sites and services. Many users cannot open certain sites, for example, residents of Ukraine cannot simply go from a regular browser to social networks in contact and classmates. But, this can be easily bypassed if you use a VPN or the same proxies. Purchased a proxy, chose the desired country and go to your favorite social networks without any problems.
These reasons and solutions are not the only those why people buy them, but these are the main ones.