Arthritis and Its Types
Arthritis is a condition in which inflammation of joints occurs. It can occur due to various reasons. The common signs and symptoms of arthritis are painful, red, and swollen joints. Often, arthritis is a lifelong condition. Its symptoms may come and go. You need to learn the art of living and coping up with it.
You must take the medications on time that your healthcare provider has prescribed. Do not leave them without consulting them, as doing that can cause a flare. If you have any signs and symptoms of arthritis, you should visit a rheumatologist in Lahore.
The signs and symptoms of arthritis may differ depending upon the causative agent. Its general symptoms are;
- Warm and tender joints
- Swelling on joints
- Joints become stiff, mostly after physical inactivity or in the morning
- Loss of joint function and deformities
It is the type of arthritis in which joint degeneration takes place. In osteoarthritis, your joints break down, due to which your joints become inflamed, causing pain and bone injury. The signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis are;
- Joint soreness
- Morning stiffness
- Lack of co-ordination
Most commonly, it affects the joints that bear the most pressure like that of knees, hips, and spine.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease in which your immune system attacks the healthy joints, causing pain and inflammation. It needs to be treated soon.
Rheumatoid arthritis, if left untreated, can lead to the development of rheumatoid nodules that can occur over heels, knuckles, or elbows. The signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are;
- Pain, swelling, and stiffness in the elbow, ankles, feet, and jaw
- Swelling in more than one joint, often the small ones
- Rheumatoid nodules
- Numbness, warmth, and burning of joints
- Morning stiffness
- Rheumatoid arthritis can also affect other organs like kidneys, eyes, lungs, and skin.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that causes raised, thick, scaly patches over the skin. It affects the joints of the knees and elbows, the scalp, navel, and the skin around the genital area. Psoriasis can damage joints causing psoriatic arthritis.
Gout is a condition in which excess build-up of uric acid occurs in your joints. Mostly, it affects the big toe, or can also affect other joints. Gout, if left untreated, can lead to joint deformities and may damage kidneys too. Stress, certain drugs, and drinking can exacerbate gout. Gout can occur due to reasons like;
- Your body produces too much uric acid.
- Your kidneys are unable to excrete out uric acid out of your body in an adequate quantity.
- You are eating a diet rich in uric acid.
The symptoms of gout are;
- Intense joint pain. Sometimes it may feel like that your big toe is on fire.
- Extreme discomfort even when the acute phase of pain goes away.
- Redness, tenderness, or swelling of joints.
- Stiffness that may make it difficult to move
Other Types of arthritis
The various other types of arthritis are;
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Reactive arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Septic arthritis
- Thumb arthritis
To cope with it, your healthcare provider will prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and pain relievers like ibuprofen or naproxen. Sometimes they may also prescribe corticosteroids if it occurs due to hyperactivity of your immune system. You must take the treatment as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Do not leave it on your own as doing that can exacerbate the condition.
Arthritis is a painful and lifelong condition. Some days you may not have any pain, while some days the symptoms may exacerbate. If you have arthritis, you should visit a rheumatologist in Karachi.